Latest News

Delivery Hero Adds Danish Food Delivery Platform Hungry

Food delivery platform Delivery Hero has acquired Danish online food delivery marketplace Hungry, the company announced on Friday (Oct. 1).

Delivery Hero had previously owned 44 percent of Hungry and has now acquired the remaining 56 percent of the company’s shares as part of this transaction, giving the company a stronger foothold in Nordic countries.

Related: Delivery Hero Pours $200M Into German Grocery Firm Gorillas Technologies

Last month, Bloomberg reported on Delivery Hero’s plans to invest about $200 million in German grocery startup Gorillas Technologies during a $1 billion funding round that values Gorillas at about $3 billion.

Gorillas sells fresh produce and other items, delivering its wares from urban fulfillment centers. PYMNTS wrote in July that Gorillas had rolled out in late spring in the U.S. in Brooklyn. The PYMNTS report also noted that Gorillas doesn’t utilize gig workers, instead using full-time staff at its warehouses.

Also read: Delivery Hero Woos Sustainable Shoppers With Eco-Friendly Packaging

In August, PYMNTS reported on Delivery Hero’s recent partnership with Eco-Products, offering restaurants in eight markets the ability to use its plant-based packaging, branded with the company’s various regional delivery services.

“We are in a unique position to make sustainable packaging accessible and economically feasible due to economies of scale,” Delivery Hero Director of Sustainability, CSR and Safety Jeffrey Oatham told PYMNTS in an interview. “The Sustainable Packaging Program is an effective and scalable way to reduce plastic waste and carbon emissions produced by the delivery industry.”

He highlighted a 2020 Delivery Hero survey of more than 2,200 participants across seven countries, in which 86 percent of respondents reported that they would “consider ordering from restaurants via delivery platforms that offer sustainable packaging for food delivery.”

External research also finds clear demand from consumers for sustainable packaging.

“Overall, there is a clear shift to move beyond single-use plastic solutions,” Oatham told PYMNTS in his interview. “This includes changes in global legislation, as well as more conscious and environmentally-minded consumers.

“In the future, we hope to see less single-use plastics, more compostable packaging solutions, and a continued rise in reuse model for food contact packaging as reverse logistics solutions are refined,” he said.

You may also like

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in:Latest News